Sunday 8 June 2014

Clare's technique messed with by me..............

Well I loved Clare's workshop so much I couldnt leave the idea alone that I had/needed to paint another lady.............. I went through my stash of photos and images and finally found something to paint - "The Face" then I dragged out a canvas thats been stood against my wall for a couple of years and set to using the Multi Purpose Sealer from DecoArt................slathered it on then found an old book and pulled out the pages wincing at every page ........... I was brought up to not vandalise books etc so this was completely against the grain but had to be done.......... these were supposed to be soaked in water with some coffee round the edges to age them but they were so flimsey and aged anyway I missed this step out........... what a mistake the central page is the only one that didnt wrinkle and thats cause I kept reapplying the paint brush over and over to flatten it out with my hand underneath the canvas for leverage!!  Next time I will soak the pages (Oh yes there will be a next time I love this technique and look) and do what Clare said!!  I lay the pages onto the wet MPS and applied more and more MPS............ the canvas was awash with it by the time Id finished but at least I knew the pages wouldnt peel off.........they wouldnt dare!! tee hee

I then got a sheet of clear plastic and laid over "The Face" and carefully traced with a permanent black marker pen.  When the canvas was dry I traced using graphite paper and then outlined and started to enjoy my painting relaxing into the flow and watching the paint make magic.  When it came to the hair I wanted full lions main type hairstyle with curls, waves and spikes.  This was great fun and I had to restrain myself cause I could have filled the whole canvas and swamped The Face which would have been silly.  I checked with Clare and she gave me some pointers (I needed them!!) and then felt I could step back............... Silly me asked hubby what he thought and all I got was silence.........

There you go then....................

2 comments:

  1. It is wonderful well done you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon it took me 2 days and I loved every minute of painting it so rewarding......... my first portrait!!

      Delete